A Bengali-style fish curry that is cooked with tender potatoes. A simple recipe laden with flavours. This traditional Bengali recipe is actually really easy, and tastes delicious!
BEGALI FISH CURRY
8 katla fish darnes
2 tablespoons mustard oil + for deep-frying
4 small potatoes, peeled
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 bay leaf
1 large onion, grated
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
2 green chillies, slit
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 large tomato
Cooked basmati rice for serving
Few fresh coriander sprigs for garnishing
1. Heat sufficient mustard oil in a kadai.
2. Dice the potatoes.
3. Put fish darnes in a bowl. Add diced potatoes, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
4. Put the marinated fish darnes and marinated potatoes in hot oil and deep-fry till golden brown and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons mustard oil in a deep non-stick pan till smoky. Reduce heat, add bay leaf.
6. Squeeze out excess water from onion, add to pan and sauté till golden brown. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for 1 minute.
7. Add remaining turmeric powder, green chillies, chilli powder and sauté for 30 seconds.
8. Grate tomato on the worktop, add to pan alongwith salt and mix. Add cumin powder, mix, cover and cook till tomato turns soft.
9. Add 2½ cups water, cover and bring the mixture to boil. Add fried fish darnes, mix, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add fried potatoes, mix, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
10. Spread cooked rice in a shallow serving platter, put fish curry on top and serve hot garnished with torn coriander sprigs.
Click to Subscribe: http://bit.ly/SanjeevKapoor_Khazana
Best cooked in Wonderchef Kitchenware. Buy Now on : https://goo.gl/eB9kQq
Wonderchef Kitchenware: https://goo.gl/eB9kQq
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/ChefSanjeevKapoor
Twitter : https://twitter.com/sanjeevkapoor